Academic and Research Misconduct

Academic misconduct

Academic misconduct is defined as "any activity that tends to compromise the academic integrity of the university, or subvert the educational process" (Ohio State Code of Student Conduct).

Charges of academic misconduct involving graduate students often focus on allegations of plagiarism, unauthorized collaboration on a course project or examination, or failure to comply with course policies. Such behavior can derail a graduate career.

Every course syllabus should contain a statement on academic misconduct and faculty expectations for the completion of course requirements. If a graduate student is unsure of how to properly cite and reference materials written or produced by others, he or she is responsible for seeking assistance with this process.

If a graduate student is accused of academic misconduct, the allegation is heard through the Committee on Academic Misconduct. The Graduate School is represented on each case involving a graduate student.


Numerous resources are available to graduate students who may need assistance in understanding how to properly cite reference materials. Graduate students should also consult with their advisors.

Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing

Office of the Committee on Academic Misconduct 

Research misconduct

University processes exist to address allegations of research misconduct by graduate students. Graduate students have the responsibility to be aware of and to follow these standards. Not following these standards can derail a career.

As a recipient of federal funding, the university is obligated to have an administrative process for reviewing, investigating, and reporting allegations of research misconduct. The University Policy and Procedures Concerning Research Misconduct describes Ohio State's process.

When a committee of inquiry, as defined in this policy, forwards allegations of research misconduct by a graduate student to the Graduate School, the Graduate School follows the Graduate School Policy on the Investigation of Allegations of Research Misconduct.


Questions may be directed to the Graduate School by calling (614) 292-6031.